Friday, July 22, 2016

Caught up!!! - - nuntium duocentesimum tricesimum quintum

I'm caught up!  I'm caught up!  I can't believe it- and I didn't run out of thread but it's close.  WIOSNA round 16 is done!
 Since I had more time, I made Joëlle's Le flocon Frivole too (which I love).

Yesterday was significantly cooler in Birmingham.  My friend assures me that London is simply warmer anyway but even so, it was wonderful.  I even put on slippers last night.  Sometimes being "cool" is simply delicious, but for me only if it's natural, not air-conditioned.  I love my air-conditioning at home, don't get me wrong but I don't find it as pleasurable as a cool evening after a warm(ish) day.

My hostess is determined that I shall enjoy all Birmingham has to offer so yesterday we went to The Barber Institute of Fine Arts which has an amazing collection of art and -I think- my new favorite Van Gogh, called A Peasant Woman Digging.  She is such a real person and yet so lovely, the colors are truly wonderful.
A poppy in the Winterbourne Gardens
Then we walked to Winterbourne House, had lunch in the terrace café and leisurely wandered the gardens for the rest of the afternoon.  We didn't go in the house, that's for next trip possibly.

And even the food at "home" is wonderful.  Here is last night's dinner which was a lovely salad of snap peas (cleverly called Mangetout here), peas, radicchio, feta, pine nuts and prosciutto.  It was a delight!


And we started the day with a traditional full English breakfast.  I am so very spoiled.

9 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Your doily is awesome!!!!!! :)
    Love the snowflake too!!! :)
    I am still 2 rows behind, but also working on one of my Christmas Secrets has delayed me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are what we call the full monty, full English breakfast, have you had the black pudding with it yet. A full day of leisure and a great dinner, now I think you may need a bigger plane to carry you home as you will defiantly be a few pounds heavier.
    Yes London and south east of England are always hotter than the rest of the country. Although with this beautiful weather who cares, it's a quick flash if summer that could end as soon as it started. Hopefully it will last a few more weeks, woukd be even better if it lasted to Christmas, but that won't be the luck of the English weather.
    Enjoy another day where ever you end up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I am just getting geared up to begin this! Better late than never?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, glad you finished the round without running out of thread! It's good to be spoilt on holiday. That at 'home' meal looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the doily! You seem to be living a life of leisure there! Wonderful food, time on your hands! Good for you!

    A wonderful website, and I'd definitely go back to visit the impressive house! Amazing how huge this place is, even though it's a 'small country estate'! Possibly the servants would have had more 'breathing room' than their counterparts on the TV show Upstairs, Downstairs from the 1970s, which was a townhouse (truly upstairs, downstairs) situated in London. Still a lot of walking, though, at Winterbourne, and the Winterbourne servants wouldn't have a bus outside the door to visit London and 'escape'! But would you really need to escape, with those beautiful gardens! Wonder if anyone (servant or owners) did any tatting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's looking fabulous Michelle, I love your choice of blue and yellow. Nice to see the Flocon Frivole too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Multiple Pleasures - a delight to all senses :-)))) Glad you are having a great time, & wow, love your doily & snowflake!!!

    ReplyDelete

gratias maximas- it's wonderful to hear what you have to say!