Sunday, July 23, 2017

Travel tatting and a meeting- nuntium duocentesimum duodeseptuagesimum

I'm home from England/Italy now and it was a marvelous trip!  I had so, so much fun.  I tatted a lot, relaxed a lot, saw some amazing things, ate well and enjoyed visiting my friend.

And then, oh my, and then.  Joëlle contacted me to see if we could meet.  We had tried a few years ago when I was visiting the same friend but it didn't work.  This time because of our jaunt to Italy, we didn't have a lot of options that we could meet but Joëlle wrangled her entire family and made it work.  We were to meet the morning after we came back from Italy, imagine my chagrin when my flight was cancelled out of Naples!  Amazingly we were able to find another time, so I bravely took the train to meet her about halfway between.  You will think it's funny- I've traveled a LOT and take trains in Italy and France with no hesitation.  However in a country where the language is almost my own, I'm a wimp!  I made it to the right city and back though.

It was so exciting to see Joëlle's work in person- gorgeous, gorgeous stitches, gorgeous colors and gorgeous variety of pieces!  We had such fun and the hours were gone before I knew it.  We tatted, talked techniques, tatted more, talked about her amazing videos and other common interests.  I showed her a tatting issue I was unhappy with and she gave an instant and brilliant solution.  I wish we could convince her to join Twin Cities Tatters but I suppose that's too long a commute.

Speaking of Twin Cities Tatters, tomorrow is our RETREAT!  So exciting (the spoiling continues), Monday - Wednesday- just tatting, tatting, tatting.  I wonder if our hands will hurt?

I was surprised how many people commented that they don't tat when they travel, particularly in airplanes.  To me, airplanes are a necessary evil.  I don't enjoy them but they get me where I want to be so I make the best.  To me, that involves tatting.  Tatting doesn't have to be stowed during take off and landing, it doesn't make noise, one can do it in the interminable lines and what else to do when forced to sit/stand for hours during all the waiting?
I do have a special "airplane travel pouch".  As you can see, it has only useful things but if I had to surrender them, I could.  Boring shuttles but I can pop out the bobbins and keep my work.  Strong booklight (which- if I have remembered to put in new batteries- makes it easier to see), a dental floss "card" which has a cutter, a Sherry Pence 4-hook crochet pen (I would never through this away but would pretend it was simply a pen and slip into my purse), a hair clip for thread on ball, a few TCT cards in case anyone is interested and some of mine too.


The needle minder is from Happy Bluebird.  My usual one has tatting to decorate it but since this is the travel one, no.  So, all things I could give up if necessary but work well.  I do cut my ends and weave in but the final snipping has to wait until home.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful trip! So good to meet up with another tatter in person. I'd have loved to tatted on the way to Australia, but I hadn't realised that the plane would be dark, even though it was day time. I should've taken a light! Good idea to take supplies that can be relinquished if necessary. Enjoy the retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loveyour travel kit, mine is safely put in my case. I am glad you enjoyed your trip, Italy is a wonderful country.
    I have had trouble with different bits such as my diabetic strips would you believe they thought it contained liquid because I only put enough strips for the holiday now I fill up so they no empty space. In Lanazote my comb caused problems he thought it was a knife and pulled a gun out and my bag was emptied. He was not a happy man when they found nothing. No my tatting is safely packed, I have one of sherry's pens I wonder if I might try putting it in my bag and see what happens?
    When you are next in th UK do let me know I am not too far from Joelle,

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice when you meet another tatter, it seems time flies! Thanks for showing your kit for the airplane, I thought needles weren't allowed but actually I don't fly so often and when it happens, it's for an hour or less. In the train I can take also scissors, so it'slike tatting at home, but the hook - I've lost many crochet hooks in train busses and cars, now I use a short hook tied in a necklace like a pendant :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 🦋Love the tatting adventures and needle book sound like a pleasant vacation🦋

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe you're back already! What a great trip! I think I'd be too exhausted to write anything. How wonderful to meet Joelle!

    I'm amazed at all the items you carry on the plane. Very efficient, though.

    And you're already out the door again! Have a great time at the retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh so many tatting experiences, how wonderful. I don't take my tatting on the plane because even with your neat little collection I would drop or loose something. I find a book is all I can cope with and even then annoyed about the lack of light as most of the time the plane is in darkness and can't get on with those travel lights. You were brave with the trains too, especially English ones! Enjoy you Tatting Retreat, well of course you will!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tela Magistrae Team,

    My name is Anuj Agarwal. I'm Founder of Feedspot.

    I would like to personally congratulate you as your blog Tela Magistrae has been selected by our panelist as one of the Top 75 Landscape Design Blogs on the web.

    http://blog.feedspot.com/landscape_design_blogs/

    I personally give you a high-five and want to thank you for your contribution to this world. This is the most comprehensive list of Top 75 Landscape Design Blogs on the internet and I’m honored to have you as part of this!

    Also, you have the honor of displaying the badge on your blog.


    Best,
    Anuj

    ReplyDelete

gratias maximas- it's wonderful to hear what you have to say!