Monday, October 28, 2019

30 years! - nuntium trecentesimum duodetricesimum

Many years ago, my mom gave me a bag full of satin Christmas ornaments and said, "You should tat around these and give them to me for Christmas."  I'm still laughing.

I couldn't figure out how I could do that without tatting them ONTO the ornament and then closing around them.  Then a few years ago I started seeing them with bare thread for sewing pieces together and that seemed so clever.  I made a few from patterns, i.e. Renulek (which, by the way, was gorgous) but for these little guys I just couldn't find what I wanted or the patterns were too big or some other "not quite right".

Last night I decided to look at my pinned items on Pinterest and then did a bit of modifying to come up with this.  It's not terrifically different but it works for what I wanted.  Not too involved, not too much bare thread and I just might finally get rid of these blue satin balls.  (Mom's tree is very specific and gorgeous but no blue anywhere now.)





Cute enough.  I might even put one on my tree.

10 comments:

  1. Good job! It is a problem that baubles vary so in size. Could you sew tatting to the satin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! You know I love the blue! My question is, how do you finish off the bare thread? Is it just a knot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, just a plain ol knot with the ends tucked under a bit.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful work, your are a pro at this I have never tried a large ornanment❄️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! I noticed a similarity to the ice drop patterns. You could add one at the bobbin for interest (or hilarity).
    LindaR

    ReplyDelete

gratias maximas- it's wonderful to hear what you have to say!